After creating a stir in the smartphone domain with its Canvas 4, Micromax is out with its new flagship product Canvas Turbo. This phone is also in the news as Hugh Jackman is endorsing it. As earlier seen with other Micromax devices there’s always an evolution of features and specifications. Let’s see what this brand offers new with the launch of Canvas Turbo in the markets through this review.
Micromax Canvas Turbo- The Specifications
Marked at Rs.19, 900, Canvas Turbo is a premium smartphone which comes with 5” full HD display with time with CGS or Continuous Grain Silicon. It runs on a quad core, 1.5Ghz MediaTek MT6589T chipset and has 2GB RAM for excellent performance. Matching Canvas 4, this smartphone also comes with a 13MP primary camera along with a 5MP front camera.
Canvas Turbo is there with storage of 16GB in built and is powered by a 2000mAh battery. Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean is used as the OS for this phone.
Micromax Canvas Turbo- The Features
There are some really competitive features on board this phone. The major features in Canvas Turbo include:
- Dual SIM Support
- Network Support to 2G Network-GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900, 3G- HSDPA 2100, GPRS, EDGE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
- Slim Body- 128.3 x 71 x 8.6 mm
- IPS LCD Capacitive Touchscreen with 16M colors
- Resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels with 441 ppi pixel density
- Internal 16 GB (12.5 user available), 2 GB RAM
- microUSB v2.0 Slot
- Camera features like Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection
- Sensors – Accelerometer, compass, gyro and proximity
- Apps include Sticking BBM, Hike for IM, Spuul, Kingsoft Office, M!Security, M!Unlock, M!Live and Game-hub
Speaking about the features, Canvas Turbo has the most competitive specifications.
With 2GB RAM Canvas Turbo is able to smoothly render the 1080p display. Speaking about the camera, Canvas Turbo is in match with Canvas 4 and it not lagging behind in any sense. There is a long list of shooting modes including panorama shots with same key feature to take vertical panorama shots. The burst mode allows you to click 99 images at once.
Some exclusive features include 3600 panorama as in Nexus 4. You can create animates GIFs as well with Canvas Turbo. The all aluminum design and look will definitely attract you like the Canvas Doodle 2.The body of this smartphone is not the slimmest but is sleekest at 8.6 mm.
If we look at the smartness of the Canvas Turbo then there are features that are worth the shot. Some of these features include:
- Automatically answer a call just by placing Canvas Turbo on your ear
- To silent an incoming call, just flip it upside down.
- For activating call on speaker just flip over it.
- Blow/shake to unlock feature
- Click photos by waving your hand using the proximity mode
Ifloat, is an exclusive feature that Micromax has introduced in Canvas Turbo for the users. With this feature you can easily access the most used apps from anywhere in the phone. There is no need to use app listing page or the home screen.
On the down side Micromax Canvas Turbo do not support memory expansion; this can limit the usage of this phone as it comes with 16GB inbuilt memory. Also the all aluminum body does not allow you access to the phone battery which can be a major drawback. Lastly the 2000mAh battery may not be significant enough to provide optimum power backup. All these features give competitors like iberry Auxus Nuclea N1, Xolo Q1000S, Gionee Elife E6, Lenovo P780 and WickedLeak Wammy Passion Z Plus a lead over Canvas Turbo.
What’s the Deal?
At Rs.19, 900 Canvas Turbo can be an affordable owing to its features and smart performance. However there are some glitches as mentioned that you should evaluate well before investing on this Micromax phone.